RudeJasper

Don't Be Afraid of the Dork

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro I don't want to reveal too much about the plot of this one except to say that is a kind of alternative history set in current-ish day Britian. This book left me feeling emotionally distraught, disturbed and more than a little depressed. Which may not at first seem like a compelling argument for reading it but this emotional reaction was brought on slow and easy, the mystery unspooling in a perfectly paced narrative.

The story is relayed in the manner of a journal-like unburdening. It moves backwards and forwards in time just as if the narrator Kath is trying to remember all the significant events that have led her to the current point in her life and is discovering connections as she goes. I thouht this style worked really well along with the somewhat stilted and unnatural dialogue giving the impression of artifice mixed with the intensely personal journey.

Highly recommend.