RudeJasper

Don't Be Afraid of the Dork

Evans Above - Rhys Bowen The first in a series of mysteries focused on the constable of a small welsh village. I felt that is rambled a bit, was quite repetitive and the systery solution while sufficiently convoluted was also pretty sketchy. Its a quick light read in the cozy mystery genre if that's what you're in the mood for.

The book reminded me strongly of M.C. Beaton's Hamish MacBeth series (complete with a hero constable with a slightly ridiculous name - Evan Evans) but set in Wales instead of the Scottish Highlands. As with the H.M. series the mystery is somewhat secondary to the mundane happenings and charicaturesque folks that populate Llanfair. There are also the multiple love interests who Evan seems perplexed by more than anything and the dissaproving and doubting superiors from the big-town police dept.

Interestingly the author has a number of books that have won or been nominated for some prestigious mystery awards. I have to say that surprises me a bit after reading this - it wasn't bad but nothing special either. The award attention encourages me not to give up on her books just yet.