RudeJasper

Don't Be Afraid of the Dork

The Devil's Teeth: A True Story of Obsession and Survival Among America's Great White Sharks - Susan Casey I am really torn about this book.

On the one hand, I really enjoyed being introduced to the incredible history, both natural and otherwise, of the Farallon islands. I also really enjoyed hearing all the anecdotes about shark behavior and the unique group of animals that spend fall at the Farallons. I would have liked to hear more about the results of the tracking project that is mentioned briefly towards the end of the book.

On the other hand, I really could not understand the arrogance and fool hardiness that dominates the last part of this book. Being a wildlife biologist I was extremely irritated by the choices that led to a non-scientist, who knows little to nothing about boats, and whose only qualification is that she thinks sharks are neat, getting a (unofficial) place on a highly exclusive research team and being put in charge of a 70 ft yacht anchored in the very roughest of seas.Oh and the seas? Also infested with some of the largest sharks in the world. How was that supposed to end? It is not shocking that it ended poorly and while I understood the initial motivations of both parties involved (the author and one of the researchers), when it became clear that things were not going well, they should have cut their losses. And really Susan needed to admit defeat, realize that she was nothing more than a liability and go home. To her credit she admits as much and it probably took something to lay the whole scenario out there. But I definitely enjoyed the first part of the book a good deal more than the last.